Achari Bhindi is one of the most popular North Indian sides dishes. 'Achari' because it tastes tangy like the pickles. Amchur, the special spice ingredient gives this dish its distinct name 'Achari Bhindi'. Hope you all like the recipe.
1. Bhindi (Ladies Finger): Cut into 1.5 to 2 inch fingers: 500 gm
2. Tomatoes: finely chopped : 1
3. Onion : Diced : 1 Medium Size
4. Gram flour : Besan : 2-3 tbsp.
5. Turmeric : 1/2 tbsp
6. Coriander: coarsely powdered : 1 & 1/2 tbsp
7. Garam Masala Powder: 1 tbsp
8. Red Chilli Powder : 1 Tbsp
9. Aamchur : Dry Mango Powder : 1 tbsp
10. Roasted cummin seeds powder
11. Fennel seed / Saunf powder : 1 tbsp
12. Oil : 5-7 tbsp.
13. Salt to taste
1. Cut Bhindi into 1.5 to 2 inch fingers. Pat dry Bhindi and make small slits into each piece.
2. Masala Preparation: Mix ingredients 6 - 11 into a large mixing bowl.
3. Apply masala into each bhindi slit and then toss all Bhindi in the masala. Coat the bhindi with masala from all the sides.
4. Add 4-5 Tbsp oil into the bhindi mixture and toss nicely so as to coat evenly.
5. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan + add diced onion. Cook till onion turns soft.
6. Add finely cut tomatoes and cook till tomatoes mash up.
7. Add Besan / Gram flour and toss nicely.
8. Add all the bhindi mixture prepared in step 3.
9. Cook on low flame . Close the pan with lid. Cook till the Bhindi turns soft.
10. Add salt and Stir occasionally.
11. Takes about 15 -20 mins of patient cooking on low flame.
1. Bhindi has to be pat dried completely or they start to become sticky.
2. Amchur is the main spice that makes the whole dish tangy. Use fresh Amchur.
Serve Hot with Rotis or Phulkas.